Meet Daniel L. Moody
Dan was admitted to the Florida Bar and has been licensed to practice law in Florida since 1984. He practices in the areas of general business client representation, commercial litigation, construction law and construction litigation. He has substantial experience in the negotiation, mediation, arbitration and litigation of a very broad range of legal disputes, along with experience in representing clients in administrative and regulatory proceedings. Dan has also served as a mediator and arbitrator on construction disputes for the American Arbitration Association, as a certified mediator for the Florida Circuit Courts, and as a Special Magistrate for the Pinellas County Construction Licensing Board.
Distinctions & Recognition
- “AV” rated (highest rating available) by Martindale-Hubbell, the oldest and leading attorney rating process.
- Avvo rating of 9.5 - “Superb.”
- Recognized as a “Florida Super Lawyer” in construction law in 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, and 2022 by Law & Politics - a peer-review process recognizing the top 5% of Florida attorneys by practice area.
- Board Certified by the Florida Bar as an expert in construction law from 2007 to 2012. Dan chose not to renew his board certification at the end of the initial certification period.
Dan is admitted to all Florida State courts and has litigated in over 50 of Florida’s 67 counties. He is also admitted to the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida, and the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida.
Current Professional and Trade Association Affiliations
Dan is a member of the American Bar Association (“ABA”), the ABA Litigation Section, the ABA Forum on the Construction Industry, the Florida Bar, and the Construction Law Committee of the Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section of the Florida Bar, and the Clearwater Bar.
Past Trade Association and Civic Affiliations
Contractors and Builders Association of Pinellas County (Board Member, Associate Vice President), Pasco Builders Association, Florida Home Builders Association, National Association of Home Builders, Suncoast Utilities Contractors Association, American Subcontractors Association(Board Member, Florida Suncoast Chapter), Construction Specifications Institute, and Habitat For Humanity (President, West Pasco/North Pinellas chapter).
Dan entered King College in Bristol, Tennessee, after his junior year in high school under the King Fellow and King Scholar academic scholarship programs. After his freshman year he transferred to Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU) in Richmond, Virginia. Dan was active in student government leadership both within academic department, school, and the university as a whole, and was a member of Phi Kappa Phi national honor society, the American Criminal Justice Honor Society (Lambda Alpha Epsilon), and Laurels Honor Society. In 1981 he was conferred a Bachelor of Science Degree in Administration of Justice, with High Honors, graduating first in his class of over 2,100 students.
After graduating from VCU, he attended the University of Virginia School of Law in Charlottesville, Virginia, where he received his Juris Doctor degree in 1984.
Teaching & Instruction Experience
Dan has thirty years of experience in informal, on-the-job training of dozens of paralegals and associate attorneys in all aspects of business law, construction law and commercial litigation.
Additionally, he has over twenty years of experience in providing formal adult continuing education. This experience includes developing and researching the topics for continuing education courses and preparing course outlines and syllabi for approval by the Florida Bar for mandatory continuing education requirements for attorneys, and for approval by the Department of Business and Professional Regulation for mandatory continuing education requirements for construction industry license-holders. Dan has defended proposed syllabi in the agency continuing education course-approval process. Additionally, he has researched and prepared written course text materials and corresponding multi-media teaching aids and prepared and presented lectures to effectively communicate the materials and engage the attendees in the learning process. Finally, he developed concise written course objectives and methods for evaluating course and student achievement of stated objectives and measured, analyzed and evaluated the level of achievement of the objectives.
On an in-house training and education level, Dan has researched and developed in-house training programs on a variety of commercial law topics for national corporate clients and has conducted the training programs and presented the materials to hundreds of employees at clients’ corporate offices.
Dan has authored numerous articles which have appeared in local, state and national publications, including:
- "Builders, Limit Your Exposure to Implied Warranties," Homebuilder, Jan./Feb. 1992.
- “Protect Yourself!! Simple Precautions to Take When Dealing With Code Interpretations," Florida Forum, May, 1993.
- “Protection Against Liability For Existing Conditions in Reroofing Jobs," Roofer Magazine, August, 1993.
- "Following the Letter of the Law: The Importance of Strict Compliance When Learning the ABC's of Construction Lien Laws", Florida Forum, September, 1993.
- "Compliance with Code Requirements...Who's Responsible?", Florida Forum, November, 1993.
- "Alternative Dispute Resolution: Using your Imagination to Control Your Destiny", Florida Forum, December, 1993.
- "Defining the Worth of an Aging Roof: Courts Finally Recognize That Roofs Have a Limited Useful Life!", Florida Forum, February, 1994.
- "'Pay When Paid' Clauses...When are they Valid?", Florida Forum, March 1994.
- "Construction Bonds on Government Projects", Florida Forum, May 1994.
- "Construction Bonds on Private Projects - What You Need to Know, Part Two - Answers to Commonly Asked Questions", Florida Forum, June 1994.
- "Good News - 1994 Revisions to the Construction Lien Law are Few and Easy to Live With", Florida Forum, November, 1994.
- "In Search of the Perfect Attorney", Florida Forum, March, 1995.
- “Construction Lien and Bond Law for the Subcontractor,@ The American Subcontractors Association, Florida Gulf Coast Chapter, Inc., 1996.
- Contributing author, “The Fundamentals of Construction Contracts: Understanding the Issues in Florida”, Lorman Education Services, 2005, 2006, and 2007.
- Contributing author, “Construction Delay Claims in Florida”, Lorman Education Services, 2006.
- Contributing author, “Advanced Third-Party Collection Strategies”, National Business Institute, 2006.
- Contributing author, “Building Codes”, Lorman Education Services, 2007.